Missy's Muses

Thursday, July 09, 2009

LIfe Goes On

I am seeing my children grow and develop new interests. Timothy is attending school in Berea, Kentucky. He had shoulder surgery on June 1 and although I have spoken to him often, I haven't seen him in a few months. Daniel is spending most of his time with his girlfriend, Amanda. They are planning a June 2011 wedding. They spend time with Amanda's family, my nephew, Adam, and his fiance, Jeanine, and my niece, Melanie and her husband of less than a year, Rickey. I see them on occasion (Ha, ha!) He does still "live" at home, but with college out for the summer and no job, he just pops by the house a bit. Joseph is still around when he's not at Fort Hill Christian youth camp, but as he sleeps until about 1 PM every day, the only way I get to spend much time with him is by staying up late at night and that tends to make it difficult to maintain constant control of my diabetes.
I have been getting lots of sewing done in the past year. I made all of my Christmas presents, birthday presents, mother's day presents, baby gifts, etc. finding lots of free patterns on the Internet. As I had yards and yards of beautiful material horded over many years, I actually spent no money on presents, which was fantastic with the way the economy is these days. I made curtains, pillow cases, book covers, place mats, table runners, a skirt, a vest, lots of monogrammed winter scarves, a chef's apron and hat, eye covers for sleeping during the day, blankets, and more. It has really been fun and therapeutic.
I had batteries of testing done once school was out in June and most things are looking good: mammogram, dexascan, blood work, colonoscopy, OCT scan on my eyes, dental check up etc. I think I am good to go for no more testings for 3 months on some, a year on others, and (hurrah) 10 years on the colonoscopy. My AIC was 7.3, still too high, but so much better than the 12 of a year ago. I am still not drinking enough water and am dehydrated. This shocked my 17 year old as I consume a 5 gallon bottle a week, but I think it is due to the high heat. I keep the a/c on and don't venture outside except in the mornings when it is cool, but I just need to keep on drinking water.
I hope all is well with each of you. I am not going on any vacations this year, due to the heat, but I am having an enjoyable time at home this summer.
Missy

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 7/10/2009 7:46 AM, Blogger Karon said…

    Hi Missy,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yes, I am still blogging after 4+ years. It is one of my many ways to gain support and "get it out" so to speak. Glad you're doing well. My hubby would love to have an A1C like yours. I know how important those numbers are. Best to you and look forward to reconnecting.

     
  • At 7/13/2009 2:37 PM, Blogger Missy said…

    Karon,
    I think you are right about the "get it out" part. I do miss the fact that I just can't do it during the school year. I will keep your husband's health in my prayers.
    Missy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home