Missy's Muses

Monday, March 27, 2006

Can you ever go back home?

Moving can be quite overwhelming! I stayed away 12 years and then moved back to my home town in Ohio in 1986. I had really put on the pounds in between and wondered if it would be difficult for me to deal with people seeing me and wondering why I had let myself go. Returning had its moments.

One humorous thing that happened occurred at a ladies devotional a couple of months after I returned. My brother was the educational director at church and I told him I would help out by teaching the Sunday morning class for 3 year olds that they were starting up. A lady at church who had lived in the area for a couple of years about 7 years before had returned to the area with her husband and had wanted to start a 3 year old class using material she had helped to developed while they were away.

She would be teaching the Wednesday night class and wanted the Wednesday night, Sunday morning, and Sunday night classes to all coordinate, teaching the same material in slightly different ways. My brother had told me to check with her to see when she wanted the class to begin. As she was sitting near me during the fellowshipping time of the devotional, I asked her if she knew when the 3 year old class would be starting. She looked at me and said, "Well, I'm not real sure. Do you know who Don is?" I tilted my head and said to her, "Um, do you know who I am?" She said, "Sure, you are Missy!" I said, "I'm Don's sister!" She looked right at me and said "NO, YOU ARE NOT! We lived here before. We know Ray and Patsy (my mom and dad) and they only have 2 children Don and Rachel!" I said, "Well, actually they have 4 children! I have been living in Texas and Missouri for the past 12 years and we have another sister that lives in Texas!" She was absolutely astonished and wasn't really convinced that I was who I said I was until she talked to my mom!

At least she didn't have any mental image of what I had looked like before. She hadn't even known I existed!!!!! I later asked my mom why she had never mentioned me or my other sister! She said she was as surpised as I was that the lady was unaware of my identity. She thought she had always talked about our lives! Go figure!

1 Comments:

  • At 3/29/2006 11:25 PM, Blogger Karon said…

    Just wanted to say you're going GREAT and I'm so proud of your progress. I love that your son is encouraging you all the way. That's cute! Keep up the good work, honey!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home